We all need a bit of motivation now and then to get going. So what if we told you that just 30 minutes a day could lead to enormous benefits in terms of your mood, health, weight and the ability to live an independent and fulfilling life, would you get started today?
In fact, research suggests that exercise can be just as effective as anti-depressants in treating mental health issues. It is not fully understood why exercise is so good for improving mood conditions yet, but what we do know is that it works. It may be a result of a combination of the following reasons:
- Exercise helps chronic depression by increasing serotonin (which helps your brain regulate mood, sleep and appetite) or brain-derived neurotrophic factor (which helps neurons to grow).
- Exercise reduces immune system chemicals that can make depression worse.
- Exercise increases your level of endorphins, which are natural mood lifters.
- Exercise helps by getting your sleep patterns back to normal. We know getting enough sleep can protect the brain from damage.
- Exercise gives you a focused activity that can help you feel a sense of accomplishment.
- Exercise limits the effect of stress on your brain.
However, keeping this motivation going when it comes to programmed exercise is challenging! And for this reason nearly everyone has had their fair share of ‘falling of the wagon’, so to speak. The number one tip for keeping motivated is – HAVE A GOAL! This doesn’t necessarily mean a number on the scale or to look a certain way. It can be a feeling or action! For example you could set a goal to simply exercise for 30 minutes a day five days a week. And remember – be kind to yourself! If you miss a day don’t beat yourself up about it, make it up tomorrow.
If you need help getting started we are here for you! Join our exclusive FREE Kick Start Program! A fun easy program designed as an introductory package to kick start your healthy living! To be eligible for the program you must be a Cairns RSL Sub Branch member or family member of a member.
We have four spaces left in the first round which commences on Thursday 16 July at 6:45am. To register contact Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org For more information visit https://crslsb.org.au/event/kick-start/