Did you know that over 5,500 Defence Members discharge every year from the Australian Defence Force? Finding the right role after leaving the ADF can be extremely challenging. The Cairns RSL Sub Branch and RSL Queensland offer veterans help with taking the next step to finding purpose and direction after leaving the ADF.
CAIRNS VETERAN BUSINESS NETWORK (CVBN)
In February 2020, The Cairns RSL Sub Branch launched the Cairns Veteran Business Network (CVBN) with the aim of promoting businesses owned by veterans or businesses that employ veterans. If you are a Cairns business owner and would like to access a significantly untapped human resource pool, join our Cairns Veteran Business Network.
The CVBN holds quarterly networking functions, our next being held on Thursday, 26 August at Sauce Brewing a veteran-owned business. At each event, we have an industry specialist who attends to answer any questions you or your business might have. Mr. Alf Gruber and Mr. Geoff Davis from Gruber and Becketts Chartered Accountants will be attending our event to answer any questions you might have on accounting, finance, and auditing. As well as quarterly events we market through our social media and promote your business to Cairns RSL Sub Branch members and the Defence community.
ARE YOU A VETERAN SEEKING EMPLOYMENT?
Your Defence career has equipped you with valuable qualities and skills – skills that are equally valuable in the civilian job market. The big question – How do you communicate your Defence experience to employers to ensure you have the best shot at a new career? RSL Queensland has an employment program to support your transition into civilian employment. The program will offer services including:
- Career counseling
- Training and development
- Help to translate your skills for the civilian job market
- Help with interpreting selection criteria, writing CVs and applications, interview skills, and social media profiles
- Connections to employers actively seeking skill sets that align with military experience
- Interview coaching
- Active job searching
- Support for personnel with additional needs
For more information on the Veteran Employment Program click here.
The Queensland RSL Scholarship program aims to help ex-defence personnel, partners, and their children by supporting them through tertiary study or vocational training. RSL Queensland offers three different scholarship types.
- Ex-Defence Scholarships – If you are ex-serving or currently transitioning out of Defence this scholarship can help you upskill, requalify or develop an entirely new career.
- Veteran Dependent Scholarships – Provides financial support to children of ex-Defence members who are experience financial or personal hardship.
- Partner Scholarship – As a partner of a current or former ADF member this scholarship will support you to upskill, re-train or gain a degree qualification that will allow you to re-enter the workforce, pursue a new career, or relocate more easily.
For more information on the Veteran Employment Program click here. Or contact the Cairns RSL Sub Branch email – email@example.com to join the Cairns Veteran Business Network.